1995-2019 – Bushcraft and Survival Skills Specialists
Bushcraft and Survival Skills Specialists –
For high quality inspirational training and nothing less
Bushcraft and survival based activities provide an excellent basis for helping people to understand social skills; team and personal development; as well as environmental issues.
Woodland Survival Crafts offers a comprehensive range of bushcraft survival courses designed to educate, challenge and inspire both young and old.
My weekend on your training course was one of the highlights of my year.
Elly Dolan – Forest School Association Director
Dave has been an invaluable support in making Kingswood Inspiring Learning an award winning organsiation, delivering high quality outdoor learning programmes. Via his expert tuition to our staff, combined with his extensive expertise and his unique and engaging approach Dave has revolutionised our delivery of Bushcraft, and changed a few lives along the way.
Via his training programmes he has innovated and developed the delivery of Bushcraft for tens of thousands of young people throughout our 10 residential centres. Our staff have become enthusiastic and expert practitioners themselves and this has allowed successive generations of instructors to develop and thrive, enhancing their own skills and enjoyment in delivering outdoor learning to children and young people.
If I were asked to recommend anyone with a Bushcraft Specialism I would go no further than Dave, his business is a most excellent example for the outdoor learning sector to emulate, combining a strong ethos with professional expertise and a clear responsibility to sustainability and environmental education.
Matt Healey MA, LPIOL, FRSA – Head of Learning and Adventure, Inspiring Learning
What’s Going On:
Excellence in Woodland
30th August – 1st September
at Grangewood Farm, DE12 8BG
High quality workshops to inspire Outdoor Professionals.
This weekend event brings some of the best/most experienced deliverers of woodland based crafts in the UK to provide you with some valuable short training and guidance.
- Bark containers – Paul Adamson – £13
- Willow craft – Ben Mayo – £12
- Spoon carving – Paul Adamson – £11
- Science in Bushcraft – Rupert Loch – £10
- Knots/Tarps and Withies – £10
- Hand drill – Pete Morton – £10
- Wilderness Cookery – Kev Palmer – £10
- Tomahawk throwing – – Terry Longhurst – £10
- Natural String and Cordage – £10
- Tree ID (Friday evening) – Dave Watson – Free
- Kevan Palmer – Live Primally
- Paul Adamson – Woodsman Crafts
- Ben Mayo – Wild Craftist
- Terry Longhurst – Bushscouts
- Rupert Loch – Ferral Science
- Pete Morton – Red Oak Bushcraft/Woodland Survival Crafts
£65 per person
£45 for IOL members
£35 for IOL Field Studies/Bushcraft PPG members
(Workshops are an additional charge of £10-£15 each)
Camp in the woodlands or field or hire out a yurt/tepee.
Supported by the Institute for Outdoor Learning Bushcraft PPG, Field Studies Professional Practice Group (IOL)
Sponsored by Muddy Faces Ltd.
- Booking form for Excellence in Woodland. Open this file in a new window.
Small Roundwood Construction
This two day course aims to give you the confidence and understanding of using of using Axes, Froes and Billhooks in order to build simple structures.
The course will cover the following subjects:
- Understanding of different tools/styles
- Safe handling of each and experience in a range of ways these tools can be used
- Maintenance of tools including sharpening
- Simple greenwood joints including choices of wood
- Splitting Wood of all sizes from logs to thin wands
- Wattle weaving and framework
Find out more about Small Roundwood Construction
We are always pleased to hear what people think of our courses. Here are just a couple of the comments received after the Shropshire Forest School Conference:
Just a quick line to say thank you so much for the training day last week. Everyone has been buzzing about it. It was truly informative and inspiring. Thanks so much for coming such a long way and giving us such a good day.
Building shelters was an amazing workshop where using simple techniques totally changed the outcome, thus facilitating confidence to put into practice what I learnt.
I thoroughly enjoyed my workshop with Dave, exploring den-making without using any string! It is so important for all Forest School Practitioners to refresh and update our skills, they are the resources we can draw on to support our work. And it is a useful reminder of what it means to be a participant rather than a facilitator. When you can do that alongside a diverse range of other practitioners, too, the learning takes place in so many dimensions. Thank you!
Visit the shop!
Why not visit our shop and see what we have to offer?
The latest addition is a handy booklet entitled ‘Shelter Frames and Campfire Furnishings’, with all the information you need to get you started on those key woodland building projects.
Reasons to choose Woodland Survival Crafts
- Dave is an Approved Bushcraft Trainer and Assessor for the Institute for Outdoor Learning
- Our main instructors are Accredited Practitioners with the IOL
- Dave has become a Leading Practitioner for the IOL. One of the Institute’s highest awards
- Dave has been a writer for the Bushcraft and Survival Skills, Living Woods and Horizons magazines
- Superb Woodlands set in the National Forest providing excellent resources for the many training courses we run